Saturday, April 11, 2009

mantras for next saturday


"the frisco fifty" is now only 7 days away :)

i have been gathering and shining up my mantras for the event. i have landed on three that i intend to lean on:

(1) i GET to run 31 miles and someone is going to time me: "get" is the key here, this is something i want to do. if i start sliding into something like "i HAVE to run eight more miles", this mantra is there to help keep me in proper perspective. the "someone is going to time me" portion comes from my experiences as a kid when i would run around the house to get things for people if they would offer to time me doing it.

(2) relax and enjoy the journey: i am imagining that i will really need this one in the first few miles, especially when i am going to be resisting the temptation to hammer too hard during the first portion of the race.

(3) it's all good: no matter what emerges out there, i am wanting to be flexible and keep a good vibe. this one will be on my shirt. i had a t-shirt with this saying and i have cut off the sleeves modifying it into a race shirt.

early forecast for next saturday: mostly cloudy, high: 63, low: 44, precip. chance: 20%. that would be awesome :) i expect it will likely change four or five times over the next seven days.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would agree with you, Rob, that pacing is the key. Sure, it's hard to not go out very hard just because we're so used to it because we feel so good at the start, but that must be subdued. Do that and you'll be in awesome shape. I have no doubt you'll finish AND you'll do great in placement. But more importantly, I think you have a great attitude going into this race.

I've come to realize over the past few weeks, placement doesn't mean anything (to me, anyway). Races are races against myself, not against the other guys/gals. And I'm out there to have fun and learn about myself and what I'm capable of. If I can follow those two things, well, I'm in great shape.

Keep up the great work, Rob. I'll be wishing you the best of luck.

Chris said...

Have fun on the Frisco, man! I'll be thinking about you as I try my first tri down in Memphis about the same time.

See you at The Pig,

Unknown said...

mircea: thanks for the encouragement. i too am not overly concerned about placement, if i pick up some extra schwag that is just a bonus. i too just want to see what i am capable of.

chris: thanks bro - enjoy your tri event.