Saturday, February 28, 2009

running through the wall: neal jamison

running book reviews: "running through the wall: personal encounters with the ultramarathon" by neal jamison


i really enjoyed this book. the content really inflamed a greater desire in my heart for participation in ultra events. the content introduced me to a race that i was not aware of. the event is called the barkley marathons and involves attempting to cover a 100 miles in under 60 hours through the brush and elevation of tennessee wilderness. whereas i have no desire to participate in the badwater 135, i do find myself attracted to the barkley.

alot of the stories in this book reference david horton. i was suprised to find out that he is a professor at liberty university. i look forward to reading and watching more about him in the near future.

2 comments:

Neal Jamison said...

Thanks for the kind review. I did one loop at Barkley covering it for Trail Runner Magazine. It took me 11 hours to cover that one "20-mile" loop, and I was with some strong veterans who knew the course well.

If you cannot find the article, let me know by posting a comment at http://ultratraining101.com, and I will send you a copy.

Best wishes,
Neal

Unknown said...

neal: thanks for the feedback. that is wild about barkely - it sounds like a major challenge. i really did enjoy the book - very inspiring. hope our running paths cross in the future.