Friday, April 17, 2009

ultramarathoning TOMORROW

today i am 209 days into my return to running. and on day 210 i am planning to complete my first ultramarathon. i returned to running with the dream of being able to participate in marathons. a couple of months into my return, i read the book “ultramarathon man: confessions of an all night runner” by dean karnazes. the content of the book got me dreaming about participating in events that go beyond 26.2 miles (which is the definition of an ultramarathon, i.e., an event that goes beyond 26.2 miles). actions transpired that provided me the opportunity to give ultramarathoning a go tomorrow at the inaugural “frisco fifty” (31.05 miles). this event lands just a couple of weeks prior to my first scheduled marathon (the “flying pig” on 05.03.2009). the completion of these two events will merit me a bronze level marathon streak amongst the “marathon maniacs” group (a group that i got acquainted with at the little rock fitness expo and am very interested in joining).

marathoning and ultramarathoning are consistent with the manner in which i have pursued recreational activities in the past (activities such as: skateboarding, disc golf, ball golf, etc.). when skateboarding was my obsession, it was very rare to not see my on a skateboard. i approached disc golf and ball golf with that same consuming energy and would often squeeze in practice time before work, after work, and if possible i would find a way to include it in my work day, i.e., take some of the youth i work with out onto a course.

needless to say, i am very excited about tomorrow. the event will be a challenge for me. my longest run over the last 209 days was a 22.5 mile trail run (which is also my lifetime record). it is possible that i will experience a moment or two where i will question why i committed to going 31 miles. hopefully those moments will be fleeting and i will return to thankfulness regarding the opportunity to get to run 31 miles. not only do i get to run 31 miles, someone is going to time me (being timed was a huge motivator for me as a child). tomorrow’s mantras: I GET TO RUN 31 MILES AND SOMEONE IS GOING TO TIME ME, RELAX AND ENJOY THE JOURNEY, and IT’S ALL GOOD.

thanks everyone for all the encouragement over the last 209 days. i look forward to sharing my race report with everyone a.s.a.p.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Robert (if I may) - I wanted to take this final opportunity to wish you a fantabulous run tomorrow. Just be cool about yourself and you'll do perfectly fine. Remember our reason for being out there: have fun, suffer, and learn a little about yourself. :-)

I'll be sending you positive energetic vibes tomorrow.

Look forward to your write-up. Hope you're having a relaxing day, both physically and mentally.

Kim said...

Rob-Hope to see you tomorrow! We're just running (isn't that funny...JUST running)the marathon.

Keep an eye out for me as you pass me up!

You are going to have such a great time tomorrow. Try to get some sleep!

Scott Griffith said...

Big ultra blessings to you my friend. I will see you as you cross that finish line!

Unknown said...

mircea: that is funny about the "robert", i just this week at work started going by "robert" because we have a ron at work and people are having difficulty with our names.

thanks again for the encouragement - i am arming myself to "suffer" :)

kim: you guys enjoy those 26.2 miles. i think it will be a blast to go that far on the frisco. i just picked up my race packet (which equalled a race number and an instruction sheet; no shirts until tomorrow (typical of events run by this race director - at least in my experience with the last three). it sounds like we might get a little wet, but the temp. and wind ought to be favorable. i made a outfit change in relation to the forecast - so look for a 6'4 guy in a purple shirt :)

scott: thanks bro - i am glad you are going to try and make it. i gave directions to caleb to be prepared for you to call my cell.

Mark said...

Rob, looking forward to the race. You are going to do great. You are right. The weather is looking better! Southeast winds!
My wife says I'm obsessed with running?!

Unknown said...

too funny mark - it is one of the better things to obsess about :) i think it is agreed in my world that i am obsessed with running. see you out there.

i changed my outfit - i will be wearing a purple shirt.