Friday, November 25, 2011

Streak...over

My recent streaking adventure ended at 102 days (plus a 55 day warm up that did not conform to the guidelines of the United States Running Streak Association). Counting the warm up I went 157 days without taking a zero mile day. Somewhere along the way I started imagining this steak going for years. But along the way I experienced some things about the streak that I did not enjoy. I was missing the freedom of taking an occasional day off from running. I also didn't feel good about days that I just squeezed in a 1 mile or 2 mile outing. It felt like I was just grabbing "junk miles" and producing dirty laundry so I could keep a boast alive. Will I pursue a streak again? I don't see myself intentionally streaking. If I string some days together in an ad hoc manner so be it. I appreciate my freedom. So, cheers to freedom and the pursuit of enjoyable miles. After taking Monday and Tuesday off this week I went out Wednesday and enjoyed a 30 mile long run. I really enjoyed it. I think my miles over the next few months will be along the lines of long slow distance outings. When I make the time I will head out the door and just start grabbing miles. Some days I will find myself heading back towards home sooner than on other days. I am hoping to get out there again later today.

Below is a map of Wednesday's long run. Part of the adventure was that the sun set just as I turned around. Also of note was a close encounter with a deer. I felt strong throughout and I believe it was a confidence building run for December's local Run for the Ranch 26.2.



My next post will be regarding my marathon adventure in Louisiana...working on that one today.

2 comments:

Ultra Monk said...

Congratulations on achieving running freedom: run when you want, as much as you want, at the speed you want with people you want, where you want, etc. No artificial defined measuring sticks. the only measuring stick is pleasure.

Unknown said...

Thanks Spirit-Flower; LOVE IT!!!